An elderly man was killed while 34 others including a cop and 18 females were injured in a grenade attack at Hari Singh High Street area of commercial Hub Lal Chowk in Srinagar on Sunday.
Officials said that unidentified persons lobbed a grenade towards security forces in the busiest HSHS area, leaving 34 persons including a cop wounded.
However, the injured were immediately rushed to SMHS hospital where one among them succumbed to his injuries.
The slain was identified as 55-year-old Muhammad Aslam Makdoomi, son of Muhammad Amin of Naid Kadal, who had suffered multiple injuries.
The officials identified 33 injured persons as:
- Jan Muhammad (22) of Rambelgadh
- Mehraj-u-din (55) of Soiteng
- Nimba Abass (15) of Kulgam
- Ghulam Muhammad (55) of Bagimahtab
- Riyaz Ahmad Reshi (40) of Mehjoornagar
- Ayaz Rashid (45) of Dargah
- Dilshada (32), daughter of Bashir Ahmad Mir of Balhama
- Shazia (36) of Malaratha Bohrikadal
- Najma (29) Rawalpora
- Suhani (16), daughter of Bashir Ahmad Bhat of Kulgam
- Kausar (40), wife of Shabir Abaas of Bemina
- Farhana (28) of Dargah
- Rafiya (19), daughter of Nazir Ahmad Tinda of Dargah
- Aatira Jan (23), daughter of Bashir Ahmad Mir of Kupwara
- Aatif (24), son of Ghulam Muhammad Haroon of Mehjoornagar
- Dr Shazia (26), daughter of Altaf Hussain Lone of Bandipora
- Zoya (11), daughter of Muhammad Umer Lankhoora of Nowhatta
- Ulfat (22), daughter of Ghulam Muhammad Malik of Kupwara Badarwan
- Fiza (14), daughter of Fayaz Ahmad Dar of Pampore
- Danish (17), son of Ghulam Muhammad Bhat of Vilgam Kupwara
- Nazir Ahmad (60), son of Ghulam Qadir Malik of Saria Bala
- Parveena, wife of Abid Hussain Shah of Batmaloo
- Kaisar (27), son of Abdul Majeed Bhat of Kupwara
- Ghulam Muhammad (23) of Rainawari
- Urfa (23), daughter of Abdul Rashid Bhat of Kulgam
- Fayaz Ahmad Bartha (45), son of Abdul Rashid of Dargah
- Mithu (22), son of Susheel Chowdhery of Bihar A/p Nai Sadak Krala Khud
- Abdul Gaffar Mir (65), son of Abdul Aziz of Dargah
- Shugufta, daughter of Gulzar Ahmad of Shopian
- Nazia (35), wife of Muhammad Abaas of Chattabal
- Masrat (17), daughter of Shabir Ahmad Malik of Shopian
- Adnan (12), son of Manzoor Ahmad Mir of Parimpora
- Aqib (26), son of Bilal Ahmad Bhat of Sarai Bala
- Bilal Ahmad Haroon, son of Ghulam Muhammad of Mehjoor Nagar
The officials said that one among the injured identified as Rafiya has received multiple injuries and her condition is stated to be critical.
Pertinently, police said that CCTV footage has been checked and it has got vital leads with regard to the attack.
Meanwhile, police in a statement issued to KNO said that a grenade incident at Amira Kadal area of Srinagar, 23 civilians and one police personnel received splinter injuries while as one injured civilian succumbed to his injuries.
A police spokesman said that militants hurled a grenade at a civilian hotspot in Amira Kadal area of Srinagar.
In this incident, 23 civilians and one police personnel identified as John Mohammad received splinter injuries.
“All the injured were shifted to hospital for the treatment of their injuries however, one elderly civilian identified as Mohammad Aslam Makhdoomi son of Mohammad Amin resident of Makhdoom Sahib age about 60 years succumbed to his injuries.” (KNO)