Three militants killed in South Kashmir



After twenty hours of long operation Government forces exterminated three Kashmiri militants including the Divisional Commander of banned Jaish-e-Muhammad in South Kashmir’s Hanjan area of Pulwama district. One of the slain militant according to police had joined the militant group two weeks ago.

Police sources said that after a tip off, Army personnel from 44 RR, 183 Battalion CRPF and counter insurgent Special Operation Group established a cordon of Hergam, Hanjan hamlet of Rajpora constituency of Pulwama district on Monday evening. “As the search party came close to the house of one Wali Muhammad Nengroo, the militants holed up there targeted search party and resorted to indiscriminate firing. The government forces retaliated and exchange of fire continued for 4 hours. Reinforcement sought by search parties brought more areas under cordon while operation was halted at around 10:30 on Monday night to avoid any civilian causality,” a top police official said adding that one of the three militants had been killed on Monday evening but the body lied in the house as militants gave no room to government forces to came close to the residential house.

He said that in a bid to foil every attempt on part of militants to escape from the scene, concertina wires were laid around the house and generators were pressed into service for lightning purposes.

“The militants displayed stiffness as a result the operation continued till 2 in the afternoon,” he said.

Locals said that after failing to neutralize the hiding militants the government forces used explosives to raise the residential house of Wali Muhammad to ground. “The explosives exploded with such a bang that the roof of the house shattered in pieces in air,” an eyewitness said.

Eyewitnesses said that after raising the house to ground, government forces after an interval of 15 minutes came near to debris and recovered three bullet-ridden bodies from the spot.

Police identified the slain militants as Showkat Ahmed Dar son of Ghulam Qadir resident of Aglar Kandi Pulwama, Altaf Ahmed Rather son of Muhammad Abdullah resident of Chak Badrinath Pulwama and Farooq Ahmed Dar son Ghulam Ahmed resident of Dalwan Budgam.

“Altaf was the Divisional Commander of JeM and his name had figured in the list of wanted militants. Farooq was also active in the district from last 2 years,” police said adding that the death of Farooq and Altaf is a major set-back for the JeM and it will hardly revive itself now in the district.

Reports stated that the dead bodies of the trio were taken to Rajpora Police Station, agitated people on roads amid pro-freedom slogans attacked the police vehicles with stones, however there was no retaliation on part of police.

Police said that government forces recovered three AK-47 rifles, six magazines and three ruptured mobile phones from the debris of the house near the encounter site.

Meanwhile, Jaish-e-Muhammad spokesperson Muhammad Hasan Shah on phone said that their fighters killed at least 8 Indian army personnel during the encounter. “All the three Mujhadeen were locals and the outfit salutes them and pledges to take their mission forward,” Shah said.

Photograph by Qayoom Khan


The Kashmir Walla needs you, urgently. Only you can do it.

We have always come to you for help: The Kashmir Walla is battling at multiple fronts — and if you don’t act now, it would be too late. 2020 was a year like no other and we walked into it already battered. The freedom of the press in Kashmir was touching new lows as the entire population was gradually coming out of one of the longest communication blackouts in the world.

We are not a big organization. A few thousand rupees from each one of you would make a huge difference.

The Kashmir Walla plans to extensively and honestly cover — break, report, and analyze — everything that matters to you. You can help us.

Choose a plan as per your location