In pictures: Curfew continues in Kashmir; 83 injured in two days



Srinagar, Indian-controlled Kashmir

On the second day of curfew on Saturday across the Indian-controlled Kashmir 74 persons, including police and paramilitary forces, were injured in clashes between the police and protesters in different parts of Kashmir amid heightened tensions over killings of unarmed civilians by Border Security Force (BSF) in Gool village of Ramban district on Thursday.


To thwart any protest demonstration, heavy contingents of police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed in the curfew bound areas. The forces had laid razor wire and erected barricades to stop movement of people and traffic. Armed vehicles were also seen at road junctions. Joint parties of police and CRPF were seen patrolling the streets of curfew-bound areas.

Reports said defying curfew, groups of youth took to streets and clashed with the forces at several places in the Valley. A police spokesperson claimed the situation throughout Kashmir valley remained peaceful till afternoon. “The night passed off peacefully. In the stone pelting incidents, yesterday 59 persons including 49 police and CRPF men were injured. In Kulgam 35 police and CRPF men were injured. In Bandipore, 4 police and CRPF men were injured,” he said. “In other districts of valley 10 police and CRPF men injured. Ten civilians were injured in these violent incidents as well. The deployments are exercising maximum restraint. All injured are stable.”


Inspector General Police Kashmir Abdul Gani Mir told KNS that situation remained by and large peaceful in the Valley on Saturday. “Around 8 Civilian, 31 police and CRPF men have been injured in stone pelting incidents at different places,” he said.

District Magistrate Srinagar has said identity cards of those manning essential services and media would be treated as curfew passes by the security forces. An emergency control room has been set up to facilitate passage of patients to hospitals during emergencies.


Inspector General Police Traffic Munir Ahmad Khan told KNS that Srinagar-Jammu National Highway was reopened for the traffic since last evening. “2000 vehicle coming from Jammu to Srinagar crossed Jawhar tunnel last night and reached Srinagar in the morning. On Saturday morning vehicles carrying Amarnathji yatries and others were allowed to move towards Jammu,” he said.

Khan said the Highway had to be closed due to protests at several places on Friday.

“From tomorrow (Sunday) traffic will flow smoothly,” he added.


However, no yatra vehicle was allowed to move from Jammu towards Kashmir on Saturday. An official spokesman said due to prevailing situation and restrictions imposed in the valley, the Shri Amarnathji yatra remained suspended on Saturday.

Separatists have called for a three-day protest shutdown against the Gool killings. All senior separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, have been placed under house arrest in Srinagar while JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik has been detained in police station Kothibagh.

The Kashmir Walla needs you, urgently. Only you can do it.

We have always come to you for help: The Kashmir Walla is battling at multiple fronts — and if you don’t act now, it would be too late. 2020 was a year like no other and we walked into it already battered. The freedom of the press in Kashmir was touching new lows as the entire population was gradually coming out of one of the longest communication blackouts in the world.

We are not a big organization. A few thousand rupees from each one of you would make a huge difference.

The Kashmir Walla plans to extensively and honestly cover — break, report, and analyze — everything that matters to you. You can help us.

Choose a plan as per your location