Geelani arrives in Kashmir, says state ruled by police and army


By News Desk | Photographs by Shahid Tantray

Lashing out at the authorities for not allowing his supporters and well wishers to welcome and greet him at the Srinagar Airport on his arrival here today, Hurriyat Conference (G) Chairman, Syed Ali Geelani said the state was being ‘ruled by police and army’.

“Is this what they call democracy? Government of India and the state government have crossed the limits of shamelessness through their inhuman and barbaric restrictions. Jammu and Kashmir has become a police state and it is a blot on the face of their so called democracy,” Geelani told a news agency.

Condemning the authorities for putting strict restrictions on his movement and not allowing people to meet him at his residence, the octogenarian separatist leader said the state was trying to muzzle the voices of people and leaders through police high handedness.

“My driver was not even allowed to drive the vehicle and a police officer drove the vehicle to my residence at a reckless speed putting lives of many people to risk,” he said and added that no one is being allowed to enter his residence.

“Nobody is being allowed to meet me, which is unfortunate and condemnable. This Fauji Raaj cannot be tolerated at all,” he added

Geelani lambasted the state government for alleged Police high handedness.

“Youth are being arrested and inhuman restrictions like curfew have been imposed on people putting them to great difficulties. Through inhuman excesses, restrictions and arrests, they are trying to stifle Kashmiri’s voices. They should stop the arrest spree and atrocities on common people forthwith,” he said.

Meanwhile, condemning the secret execution of parliament attack convict Muhammad Afzal Guru, Geelani termed his hanging as a ‘judicial murder’.

“He was not given a fair trial and his execution under secrecy is a huge crime which should be condemned by one and all,” he said adding, “His family was neither informed nor allowed to meet for one last time. It was a obligation on the GoI to inform his family and allow him to meet them. By negating him this right, the government has committed a grave human rights violation.”

He said the people of the state would continue their demand for return of  Afzal’s body.

“Truth will one day prevail over power and Afzal’s martyrdom will not go waste. Our sacrifices will one day bear fruit and end this illegal occupation,” he added.

In response to a question regarding the protest calendar’s being issued by the Majlis e Mushawrat, he said he would comment on the issue in due course of time after assessing the situation.

The Hurriyat Conference Chairman, who had left for Delhi on December 11, 2012 today returned home by air after departing from New Delhi at 12 noon. Soon after arriving at the Srinagar Airport, he was whisked away by police to his Hyderpora residence where he was put under strict house detention.

A large gathering of supporters and activists had gathered at Geelani’s residence to welcome him. They were raising anti-government and pro-Azadi slogans.

However, police resorted to tear shelling and lathi charge to disperse the crowd who had gathered there to welcome the Hurriyat (G) Chairman.

Amid chaos, the Airport road remained closed for a short while.

The Kashmir Walla needs you, urgently. Only you can do it.

We have always come to you for help: The Kashmir Walla is battling at multiple fronts — and if you don’t act now, it would be too late. 2020 was a year like no other and we walked into it already battered. The freedom of the press in Kashmir was touching new lows as the entire population was gradually coming out of one of the longest communication blackouts in the world.

We are not a big organization. A few thousand rupees from each one of you would make a huge difference.

The Kashmir Walla plans to extensively and honestly cover — break, report, and analyze — everything that matters to you. You can help us.

Choose a plan as per your location