“Major Shukla said ‘pose with gun or die in encounter'” alleges Pulwama youth

Major Rohit Shukla, Pulwama youth, Major Shukla
Tawseef Ahmad Wani, 27, a resident of Achagoza Pulwama, admitted in SMHS, Srinagar. Photograph by Bhat Burhan for The Kashmir Walla

Tawseef Ahmad Wani, 27, a resident of Achagoza area of Pulwama, says he was beaten to the pulp and tortured in the 44 RR camp of the army in Shadimarg, Pulwama.
Mr. Wani adds that Major Shukla is posted at the camp and he threatened him to pose with a gun, “Otherwise get killed in an encounter.”
Following a phone call on 4 February from the camp, Mr. Wani went in a personal vehicle, alongside a friend, to meet the army personnel. “After I went to the camp to meet Major Shukla, I was asked to show my identity. But, after that I was tortured by his (army) men, till I fell unconscious,” said Mr. Wani. 
“They took off my clothes and started beating me. While three were beating me, two of them also made a video of me,” added Mr. Wani.
As per him, Major Shukla threatened him and said, “pose with a gun and post the photograph by tomorrow; if not, I will kill you in an encounter in the coming days.” 
Mr. Wani is a student pursuing Master in Arts at IGNOU and has three siblings, including one sister and two brothers, while his “younger brother is serving in the army.” It is pertinent to mention that his army-serving brother, according to the locals, is currently under custody in his alleged connection with the infamous killing of another army personnel, Aurangzeb, posted in 44RR camp in Shadimarg, Pulwama.
The Other Side
The Kashmir Walla tried to reach out to SSP Pulwama, Chandan Kohli 12 times with different numbers, and a couple of texts, but he didn’t respond to any. Though, the call attendant at District Police Office, Pulwama told that they have no information regarding the incident, and Mr. Kohli is out of the office and couldn’t talk.
The calls were also attempted four times to the Commanding Officer of 44 RR, Col Negi, but got no response.
The Station House Officer, Rajpora said on the call that they haven’t received any complaints in this regards. 
The Public Relation Officer of Defence, Col. Rajesh Kalia responded after multiple calls and said that ‘details are being ascertained’.
After the incident, Mr. Wani was shifted to the sub-district hospital in Pulwama for treatment on the evening of 4 February, from where he was later referred to Srinagar’s SMHS hospital. Now, his condition is said to be stable.  
The Kashmir Walla will update the story if any of the above mentioned officials respond to the questions.

Dear reader, we report without fear or favour

We have not kept our journalism behind a paywall because we believe Kashmir’s stories should reach everyone, irrespective of their geographical location or economic status. If you find our work valuable/meaningful, consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Subscribe today with only 39 rupees a month.

Subscribe Now