Kulgam gunfight: Army asks Zeenat’s family to persuade son to surrender

Kashmir, kulgam
Zeenat-ul-Islam
JK Bank

Srinagar: Army on Saturday contacted the family of militant commander  Zeenat-ul-Islam asking them to pursue their son to surrender.

Talking to The Kashmir Walla father of Zeenat-ul-Islam said that army from the local camp contacted and asked him to persuade his son to surrender. “I received a call from army asking me to persuade my son to surrender as he trapped in an encounter in south Kashmir’s Kulgam,” Ghulam Hassan Shah said.

To which he replied that the family has no contact with their militant son. “We told them we have no contact with Zeenat, how can we ask him to surrender?” Shah said.

Considered as an Improvised explosive device (IED) expert, Zeenat ul Islam of Shopian’s volatile Sugan area had joined militant ranks in 2015. He was now commander of Al Badr outfit.

A key recruiters Zeenat is one of three militants surviving from Army’s most list of 12 most wanted militants. Zakir Musa is number one.

Earlier, encounter started late afternoon on Saturday between the militants and the government forces, in which at least two militants have been killed so far.

Internet services were snapped even as clashes erupted after the killing of two militants in a fierce ongoing gunfight which erupted in Katapora area of Yaripora in South Kashmir’s Kulgam between militants and goverment forces.

A senior Police officer also confirmed about killing of two militants however the identities of the slain militants is yet to be ascertained, the officer said.

Clashes erupted near encounter site and  Internet has been also suspended in Kulgam.

Earlier a joint team of army’s 35RR and SOG Kulgam launched cordon and search operation in Katpora after having credible input about presence of some militants in the area.