Mother’s Day: Waiting for their sons’ return, 7 mothers died in five years

An elderly Kashmiri lady walks past the caricatures of the disappeared persons during a protest by Association of the Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) in Srinagar. Photograph by Habib Naqash/GK


With the world celebrating Mother’s Day on May 11, Kashmir and its mothers have reason to mourn as seven mothers have died in the past five years – waiting for their sons who left home and never returned.

According to the details available with Kashmir News Service, while protesting for the whereabouts of their beloved ones, ten parents including seven women have breathed last in past five years. The process started with the death of Mugli, a mother who died in 2009.

Haseena Begum died on 5 October 2013 whose son Syed Anwar Shah disappeared on 21 July 2000, when he was arrested in Srinagar. Anwar was a wall painter by profession. Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) led by Parveena Ahanger stated that Haseena along with her son’s half widow was fighting for the whereabouts of her lone son for 13 years continuously. Mahtaba Begum hailing from Kashmir’s far-off village Karhama died while looking for her son who was arrested during a crackdown by the forces in the winter of 1990. Her son Mohammad Yaqub Khan was a laborer.

Misra begum of Bemina’s boatman colony died in the desolation of her only son Shabir Hussain Gasi who was allegedly arrested by 6RR of the Indian army on 21 January 2000. Hameeda Parveen died in 2012 after searching from pillar to post with the hope that her son would one day return to home. Details informed that her son, Abid Hussain, was a student.

Zoona Begum hailing from Raj Bagh whose son disappeared in May 1996 when he was detained after forces raided his house. Her son Imtiyaz Ahmad was a forester. Zoona died in 2011 while waiting for her son to return home. Haleema Begum hailing from city’s Batamaloo area died in February this year. She struggled for the last 23 years in search of her son, Basharat Ahmad Shah, who was studying at Aligarh Muslim University, India. Basharat was arrested on 7 January 1990 allegedly by CRPF from North Kashmir’s Sopore area.

Kashmir needs independent journalism…

…now, more than ever to give a voice to the voiceless. The press in Kashmir has operated under tremendous pressures of reporting from a conflict zone but since August 2019 we find ourselves in unchartered territory. The Kashmir Walla is among the oldest independent media outlets in Kashmir and has withstood successive lockdowns as well as attempts to suppress us, fighting back with authoritative ground reports based on facts.

We believe in making the powers that be accountable to their actions but to also hold the mirror to the society. We believe in covering all sides of the story and that empowerment in essence means the ability to make informed decisions. As such we have not allowed our journalism to be influenced by the pressures.

Despite the new and still unknown pressures, we are all the more committed to keep informing you of events and stories that matter. Our recent coverage of events has brought us an increased readership. However, the coronavirus pandemic and resultant economic crisis has affected our operational capabilities. We are facing an existential threat but only your support can help us withstand this and maintain our editorial independence.

We need your solidarity to keep our journalism going. Your contribution will empower us to keep you informed on stories that matter from Kashmir. Show your solidarity by joining our community. Kashmir thanks you.