EXCLUSIVE: Media Using Old Tapes To Prove Militants Are Behind Kashmir Blasts

JK Bank

By Fahad Shah

Contrary to a national news channel which “claimed” that they have got access to the exclusive intercepts between two militants who planned today’s grenade attacks, in reality the talks between the two militant commanders was already circulating in the innumerable mobile phones since past two months.

The news channel claims, “We have the exclusive tapes which were recorded in first week of October in which some militants planned the today’s grenade attacks.” The fact is that this conversation was not recorded in first week of October, it was recorded around August.


This tape seems a conversation of a militant talking to his commander while being cordoned by the forces. He talks about what is going around the spot. People have been listening to this recording in coffee shops and local hangouts in the city while sharing it with each other. Official sources say the tapes are of an encounter with militants in Pulwama district in which two militants were killed.

Who carried out the attacks?

Media has reached to conclusions before any investigations and putting blame on anyone who comes on way. Even till now the state police is yet to come out with any statement on who is behind these attacks. But media has concluded by running “source” based stories.

A man suspected of hurling a grenade at Batmalloo being taken away by government forces for questioning after the blast. Photo: Shahid Tantray

Mustafa Kamal, General Secretary of ruling National Conference party told NewsX, “There is dark side to Army which will be revealed with the lifting of AFSPA. Those who have feeding themselves on the back of militancy are to blame. These grenade attacks point out the finger of suspicion mainly towards the army. I know working of the army…they are pressing hard AFSPA should not be revoked. According to the army assertions there are handful of militants operating within the valley and for that they dont need such a drastic law which restricts the public freedom to almost the level of the dead man.”

In Kashmir, incidents like encounters, blasts or assassinations are never investigated properly. If there is any forensic investigation its report s are never made public.  Based on a months old recording some media organizations concluded that militants planned the attacks, while law enforcement agencies are yet to confirm anything.

It happened mere three days after Chief Minister Omar Abdullah announced the withdrawal of the draconian Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and the Disturbed Areas Act (DAA) from some areas of the state. The attacks seem to prove that Kashmir is still heavily filled with militants and there is a serious threat of attacks.

Three Central Reserve Police Forces (CRPF) men and a policeman were injured in these attacks. A grenade was lobbed on a CRPF camp in Lal Chowk, Srinagar another grenade attack was in south Kashmir’s Shopian district and another in Batmalloo. Later a policeman was shot at and injured in nearby Anantnag district.