By News Desk | Srinagar
Barely a week after the Bemina suicide attack, militants resurfaced in Srinagar on Thursday and attacked a petrol party of Border Security Force (BSF), killing one personnel and injuring other two.
Police said that around 7.30 am in the morning, militant equipped with automatic rifles opened fire on a 8 battalion BSF patrol party near Gulshan Nagar Mathen Nowgam. The BSF convoy was on its way from Baramulla to Army’s 15 Corps headquarters in Badamibagh when it came under sudden attack. Sources maintained that though militants managed to flee from the spot, the short spell of firing wounded three BSF personnel one among identified as Krishna Kalintha (belt no 94007147) succumbed to his injuries later in the army hospital at Badami Bagh. Kalintha, according to reports, had received bullet in his head. The other two injured personnel have been identified as constable Heem Singh, (belt No. 95455235) and Shakiya Singh.
Deputy Inspector General Police Central Kashmir range Syed Afad ul Mujtaba told a news agency that a manhunt was launched in the area to nab the attackers.
Eyewitnesses said that a huge contingent of army, police and paramilitary forces rushed to the spot after the incident and cordoned off the entire area. However, no arrests had been made till late evening.
This was the second attack on the forces in last eight days. Earlier, five CRPF personnel were killed and six others injured when militants stormed their camp at Bemina last Wednesday. That was the first fidayeen attack in last three years which took the security establishment by surprise. However, a few days later, IGP, Kashmir A G Mir had claimed that the plot was unearthed.
HM, JeM claim responsibility
Two militant outfits have claimed responsibility separately for the attack. Jamait-ul-Mujahideen spokesman Jameel Ahmad while claiming the responsibility told Kashmir News Service over phone that the attack was a revenge action for the killing of a Baramulla youth Tahir Ahmad and Altaf Ahmad from Srinagar.
He claimed that ‘Altawheed squad’ of the outfit carried out the attack.
Hizb-ul-Mujaheedin (HM) claimed responsibility for the attack saying its cadres were involved in the attack. Hizb Spokesman Baleeg-ud-Din told KNS over phone that they have formed a guerrilla group to carry such attacks and cautioned that such attacks would continue in future.
Both the outfits claimed that the cadres who carried out the attack reached safely to their hideouts. KNS